What to expect at The Brides’ Project.
Well, let’s just get down to what it’s REALLY like to come here.
Q: Is this just another bridal salon?
Despite the fact that we sell wedding dresses, we are not a typical bridal salon. Our mission is primarily to raise funds to fight cancer, and we hope that goal is shared by everyone who comes here to enjoy what we have to offer!
Q: Who are the people who work at The Brides’ Project?
We are a volunteer-run organization with a growing staff of really cool women. We have 2 staff here at all times to answer your questions and help you find that dress of your dreams. We also work with many external service providers (Seamstresses/cleaners) to ensure that your dress is perfect for the big day.
BE NICE TO OUR VOLUNTEERS AND ASSOCIATES! Otherwise Mistress Helen will send you to the boiler room! Sometimes, you need to be patient… and sometimes, so do we
Q: What should I wear/bring?
Clothes. No steel-reinforced undergarments are required to try on wedding dresses, and we have shoes you can borrow, etc. etc.
We ask you to remember a few things:
- Bring some clean, dry, nonslip indoor shoes to wear in the house for safety and comfort.
- NO MAKEUP… this is absolutely essential.
- No food or beverages are allowed in the house. We’ve already eaten, thanks
Q: What do we expect of you?
Bring a big smile This is very important.
We ask brides and their guests to help us keep the store fun, tidy and enjoyable for all.
Q. When should I plan my visit?
Our dresses are sold off the rack, meaning that each dress will hopefully be someone’s wedding dress. We ask that you wait until you are ready to commit to a dress – not just coming to try stuff on. Each dress can be tried on a finite number of times before it is too damaged, and we want YOUR dress, just like all the others, to be in the best possible shape!
Things To Expect:
- About 500 wedding dresses in every nook and cranny, spread over 2 floors of a Victorian house. Our dresses are 5 years old or less, but DO NOT EXPECT the stuff currently in salons. We’ll get it next year
- The bedrooms are filled with dresses organized in size groups (size 8 and under, 10/12′s and 14+). You get a room to yourself to try on dresses.
- Our gowns are priced at about $300 – $1250 or about 1/2 the retail price. Prices are capped at $1250 even for the really fancy stuff that retails at $5000-$10,000.
- Nutty staff, often sporting strange headpieces, feather boas, or other accessories.
- FUN. We want you to have fun here. Why? Because we’re all volunteers, and WE want to have fun too! NB. This is a house. If you and your bridal party would like to bring a bottle of bubbly to enjoy in the kitchen (obviously not around dresses), just let us know! We’ll try not to drink it all before you get to it.
- Informative! Our staff have all been trained to provide you with all kinds of helpful information about styles, sizing, cleaning, alterations and other good and wonderful things.
- Honesty. Okay, let’s face it, if the dress really doesn’t flatter you, don’t you want to know? We don’t want our brides looking anything but their BEST, so we will be honest. Nicely so.
- RESPECT and PRIVACY!!! We don’t get any special thrill out of chasing around half-naked women as they try on dresses. You can close the door and have all the privacy you want… or all the help you would like! Let our staff know what you’d prefer.
Here are some pics of the ladies you might see during your visit (more pics to come!):